LIBEN part 3



Looking at the photo that my SVG chose for the second part of Liben, which we thought would only take 20 mins tops and ended up taking more than 2 and a half hours, reminds me of my earlier years in Prague when all these cows started appearing on the streets around the city in the least expected places such as the one outside the main office building of HP in Budejovicka for example. The cows all had an original design, usually designed by a well known local artists or individual and the theme was connected with the cultural identity of the country and the idea was to raise money for charity. I think that is was called the CowParade.

Armed with a map and 2 digital cameras we set off for our cleaning up of the streets of Liben and the streets of Liben do need a bit of attention as do the buildings generally. What we found quite surprised us and by far the diamond in the rough was a brewery pub in the entrance to the hospital at Bulovka, also what we must add on a more topical note due to the recent release of the movie Lidice which is centered around the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich during the 2nd World War though the actual street doesn't exist, happened close to the hospital.

Review no. 1

This was, as I said before, our big find in Liben. It is situated in the entrance to Bulovka hospital and the unique thing about it is that it brews its own beer on the premises and on the menu we noted that they have around 10 beers but not all of them are available at the same time. On this particular day there was a list of 5 beers on offer chalked up on a small blackboard. They also have a very nice food menu. The focus is on traditional Czech food which means only one thing to me and that is cheese. For the people who need to be on line they have WiFi though when we visited there was a problem with the password and we weren't able to solve it before leaving but I am sure that it was just a glitch. I went for the pickled cheese again and it was very good I have to say, probably one of the best that I have tasted and my SVG had the grilled hermelin with green peppercorn and a compliment of cranberry sauce on the side. The food was very well presented and also very good. We would definitely go there again and would recommend it for its service, food and unique selection of beers and the price was also very reasonable. The restaurant seats about 80 I would say and the majority of the tables are those typical long wooden benches so ideal for groups up to 50 possibly or more if you had the whole space to yourself.



                                             Richter brewery
                                      www.pivovarubulovky.cz

Review no. 2


I must admit that I haven't been to many Pakistani restaurants, well to be exact and the other one is in Zizkov but I have been to many Indian restaurants and a hobby of mine is preparing traditional Indian food from scratch, so I am a bit of a snob when it comes to Indian food and I much prefer my home cooking to what you can find in Prague's Indian and Pakistani restaurants. Rana interestingly though has a neat little twist. They are a Pakistani pizzeria and as you walk in on your left is one of those typical wood burning pizza ovens.
When I arrived, which was about half an hour late, my SVG had already got stuck into some veggy samosas so I ordered a beer. I wanted an 11 degree Staropramen because that is my favourite but they only had the 10 degree, so I was a little disappointed but after one of my SVG's samosas I soon forgot about it. To be honest I don't really know the difference between Indian and Pakistani food and I assume that most of the dishes are very similar. It is also to do with the fact that in the past they were the same country, so I was familiar with most of the dishes. I went for the lamb biriyani which came mixed with the rice and I am used to it coming separate but it looked nice and the lamb was tender. My SVG had the aloo tinder which is a potato and baby pumpkin dish which comes with a mild creamy sauce. She enjoyed it even though she did admit to being a little stuffed, that doesn't mean that the portions were large though they were very generous, it just means that she doesn't have a big appetite. Personally I had no problems wolfing down the biriyani and if I had a complaint it would be that biriyani is a dish that should look very colourful and the sauce and rice should be served separately but the this one came as one. Overall it got the thumbs up. Good food, service and decor plus WIFI I must also add and if you are really greedy then you can order a pizza to take away. They do have a delivery service as well on their website and you can also have the Pakistani food delivered as well.

Rana
                                              www.pakistanirestaurant.cz

 

Other places of interest

Cooking school                                       Pension and camp
www.atelier-culinari.cz                             www.nakorabe.cz


Manana music bar                         Home made pies

Restaurant & bar Fantomas
Na vartÄ› 3

Comments

  1. Great post! I saw the Ogilvy building when I was on a Prague city break last summer! The city is such a creative environment! It makes you feel at home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment